Continuing Water Conservation Regulations from the State Water Resources Control Board
To promote water conservation, each of the following actions is prohibited, except where necessary to address an immediate health and safety need or to comply with a term or condition in a permit issued by a state or federal agency:
- Using potable water to wash sidewalks and driveways;
- Allowing runoff when irrigating with potable water;
- Using hoses with no shutoff nozzles to wash cars;
- Using potable water in decorative water features that do not recirculate the water;
- Irrigating outdoors during and within 48 hours following measureable rainfall; and
- Restaurants from serving water to their customers unless the customer requests it.
Additionally, hotels and motels must offer their guests the option to not have their linens and towels laundered daily, and prominently display this option in each guest room.
The taking of any action prohibited, in addition to any other applicable civil or criminal penalties, is an infraction, punishable by a fine of up to five hundred dollars ($500) for each day in which the violation occurs.